Manchester City 1-1 Sevilla (Penalties 5-4): The Citizens are UEFA Super Cup Champions

Manchester City 1-1 Sevilla

Manchester City won the first UEFA Super Cup trophy in the club's history. The Citizens, the reigning Champions League champions, won on penalties against reigning Europa League champions Sevilla at Karaiskakis Stadium on Thursday (17/08) Night.

Sevilla had provided fierce resistance until the match ended in a 1-1 draw, but their fifth penalty taker in the shootout phase failed to carry out his duties properly. As a result, Sevilla lost against Man City.

The Game

Pep Guardiola made four changes from the Man City side that won 3-0 against Burnley. Man City went with a 4-2-3-1 tactic and so did Jose Luis Mendilibar's Sevilla. He made two changes from the side that lost to Valencia in La Liga.

Sevilla hit the ground running right from the start and pressured the Man City players when they had the ball, but after 10 minutes of play, Man City were slowly able to dominate possession and confine Sevilla to their defence.

The first save was made by Sevilla goalkeeper Yassine "Bono" Bounou in the 17th minute. He brushed off a chance from Jack Grealish when the England national team player penetrated into the penalty box.

Man City were dominant but it was Sevilla who was able to steal the lead in the 25th minute. From a simple attacking pattern to the flank, Marcos Acuna who went up to help the attack released a cross and was headed by Sevilla striker Youssef En-Nesyri, who beat two Man City defenders in an aerial duel. 1-0 Sevilla ahead.

Man City tried to equalise but Sevilla's defence was tight and layered, instead, Sevilla was dangerous on the counter-attack and had another chance from Erik Lamela.

Manchester City 1-1 Sevilla

The 1-0 score lasted until halftime. Man City lacked creativity with Kevin De Bruyne out injured.

Man City increased the intensity of their attacks in the second half and continued to press Sevilla's defence. Their patience did pay off in the 63rd minute.

Man City midfielder Rodri crossed the ball into the box and there were Erling Haaland and Cole Palmer ready to receive it. Both were onside and Palmer headed the ball home, outwitting Bono. 1-1 all square.

The playing patterns of both teams didn't change much. Sevilla were still disciplined in defence and relied on counter-attacks, frustrating Man City even though they were dominant with 74 per cent possession.

Towards the end of the second half, Guardiola only made one substitution by bringing on Julian Alvarez, replacing Palmer. Meanwhile, Mendilibar played four players: Juanlu Sanchez, Gonzalo Montiel, Suso and Rafa Mir.

No more goals were scored at Karaiskakis Stadium. The 1-1 score lasted until full time ended, there was no extra round, and the match went straight to penalties.

Nine penalty-takers did their job well: five from Man City and four from Sevilla. However, Sevilla's last penalty taker, Nemanja Gudelj, failed to convert it into a goal and the ball hit the crossbar.

Man City won 5-4 on penalties against Sevilla after normal time ended in a 1-1 draw. It was the first European Super Cup trophy for Man City. 

Next Post Previous Post